We all know that Domain names were introduced because it is difficult to remember long IP addresses. So every domain name should have an IP address assigned to it.
A shared IP can host many websites on one web server. That is, several websites will share one single IP address.
By purchasing and assigning a dedicated IP to a domain, this unique IP address will be used only for that particular website.
SNI (Server Name Indicator)
In the past, a dedicated IP is needed if we want to install an SSL certificate for a website. Server Name Indication is an extension of the TLS protocol and that allows a server to connect multiple SSL certificates on a single IP address.
SNI Supported Browsers:
- Internet Explorer 7 or higher
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or higher
- Opera 8.0 or higher
- Opera Mobile 10.1 beta or higher on Android
- Google Chrome (Windows Vista or newer, Windows XP requires Chrome 6 or higher, OS X 10.5.7 or newer requires Chrome 5.0.342.1 or higher)
- Konqueror/KDE 4.7 or higher
- MobileSafari for Apple iOS 4.0 or newer
- Android standard browser on Honeycomb (v3.x) or higher
- Windows Phone 7